Thursday, November 8, 2007

Daily Boost: Rejoice Always

(The following is the Daily Boost for today, Nov. 8, 2007. Daily Boost is a free devotional available online and e-mailed to subscribers every weekday. Visit tpe.ag.org to read or subscribe.)

Rejoice Always

By Greg Ebie

I sat on my porch swing several years ago thinking and praying to myself when a young man with whom I had made an acquaintance walked by. The sidewalk was only about six feet from where I sat, so I wasn’t surprised when he stopped to say hi. What did surprise me was what he said after I returned his greeting.

“You don’t look very happy,” he said. “What’s wrong with you?”

I had not thought about the look on my face as I sat enjoying the cool evening. Within my heart I felt at peace; no crisis, fear or worry was pressing on my thoughts. Yet my countenance did not reflect my heart; the expression on my face needed to change.

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4, NIV).

It may seem odd that a man held prisoner and chained to a Roman soldier would encourage us to rejoice — not only to say it once, but to repeat himself for emphasis. I don’t imagine his guard ever asked Paul, “Why are you so down today?” Paul had learned the secret of rejoicing in the Lord regardless of his circumstances.

Paul could live a joyful life because he knew regardless of what might happen Jesus would be right there with him. Paul did not see himself as a prisoner of Rome, but as a “prisoner for the Lord” (Ephesians 4:1; see also 2 Timothy 1:8).

Several times in his epistle Paul encouraged the church of Philippi to rejoice and be joyful. Like us they probably needed the reminder. We can so easily let life get us down — even in the little things. We forget Jesus has set us free from sin and death. The Lord is by our side, and we can rejoice in Him always.

When that young man said I looked down, I asked the Lord to help me change the look on my face. I didn’t want people to think I was an unhappy grump. Several weeks later that same young man walked by as I was enjoying the porch swing again.

“Hi,” he said. But this time he added, “Boy, you look happy tonight.”

God had answered my prayer; my expression matched my heart. Years later this is still my prayer. “Lord, help me to reflect the joy You have given to me.”

Many people see Christians as unhappy and stiff. If that’s what a Christian is, I don’t want it. Jesus overflowed with joy. Shouldn’t we do the same?

D. GREG EBIE is senior pastor of Praise Assembly of God in Garrettsville, Ohio, and an author of Daily Bread devotionals.

No comments: